Sunday, 30th April 2017

Indonesia condemns Paris shooting

21st April 2017 | 998 Views
Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Government of Indonesia has condemned the shooting at the Champs Elysees shopping street in central Paris, France, which occurred Thursday evening.

"In relation to the attack that occurred in Paris last night, the Government of Indonesia condemns the terror act that took place in Paris," Arrmanatha Nasir, spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said during a press briefing here Friday.

According to Nasir, the Indonesian Embassy in Paris has confirmed that no Indonesian citizens were involved or been victimized in the attack that killed one police officer and injured two others.

The Embassy of Indonesia in Paris has issued an advice for all Indonesian citizens living in Paris and its surrounding areas to temporary avoid visiting Champs Elysess and to follow the order of the local government, Nasir remarked.

One policeman was killed and two others wounded in a shooting incident in central Paris Thursday night at around 8 p.m.

The shooting, in which the assailant was also killed, took place on the Champs-Elysees shopping boulevard just days ahead of Frances presidential election.

A witness told Reuters that a man got out of a car at the scene and began shooting with a machine gun. A police source also said more shots had been fired at another location near the scene.

The extremist group Islamic State (IS) has claimed responsibility for the shooting.

It identified the attacker as one of its soldiers naming him as Abu Yousif, a Belgian, Reuters reported.(*)