Thursday, 21st September 2017

Indonesia urges UN to investigate Israeil attack

31st May 2010 | 778 Views
Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Indonesian government has urged the United Nations to fulfill its obligations by taking Israel to account over its attack on the humanitarian-aid-carrying ship "MV Mavi Marmara" on Monday.

In an official statement on Monday, Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said "Indonesia is urging the UN to fulfill its obligations according to the UN Charter by investigating the Israeli attack to ensure Israel will be responsible for it."

The Indonesian government, he said, would cooperate with the international community to ensure that Israel is held responsible in line with international laws.

The minister said according to information from the Palestinian Authority, 16 people had been confirmed killed in the attack.

He said the Indonesian government considered the unilateral Israeli blockade on the Gaza Strip as a violation of international law which had caused suffering among innocent Palestinians.

"Israel`s action in intercepting the Mavi Marmara today was illegal because it was done in international waters," he said.

By the action, he said, Israel had again created obstacles to the peace process in the Middle East that had now entered an important stage following the launching of proximity talks recently as stated by President Mahmoud Abbas during his visit to Indonesia on May 29, 2010.

According to information from the Turkish government 12 Indonesian citizens were on board the ship, which was now being towed to Afhdod port , around 40 kilometers south of Tel Aviv.

The Indonesian government, Marty said, would continue to seek information with regard to the fate of the Indonesian people on the ship.

In the official statement the minister said the Indonesian government condemned the interception of the humanitarian aid ship by the Israelis that claimed lives.

Israeli troops attacked the Mavi Marmara that was carrying aid supplies and trying to push through the Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip Monday morning.

The flotilla was attacked in international waters or 65 kilometers off the coast of Gaza.

According to an Al Jazeera reporter, Jamal Elshayyal, the Israeli troops used live bullets in their operation.

The Israeli Army Radio meanwhile reported the Israeli troops opened fire after being involved in a confrontation with a number of people on board the ship.

Meanwhile, the Free Gaza Movement, the organizer of the humanitarian aid mission , said the ship was towed to Haifa in Israel, not to Ashdod as earlier reported to avoid journalists. (*)