Undiagnosed disease kills 61 Cambodian children
According to a joint press release late Wednesday, the focus of the investigation is to find out the cause and source of the disease for appropriate treatment and control, said the press release.
It said that cases of
severe respiratory disease with neurological symptoms have been reported
to the ministry.
The ministry was first alerted to this issue by the physician of Kantha Bopha Children's hospital in Phnom Penh. The unknown disease starts with high fever followed by respiratory and/or neurologic symptoms with rapid deterioration of respiratory functions, it said.
Majority of the cases came from the southern part of the country. No apparent clustering of cases had been seen so far, it added.
"We are currently investigating the cases and possible causes of the disease are being considered but definite identification of the cause and source may take some time," said Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng as quoted by Xinhua.
Neighboring countries have already been officially informed through a posting made through the International Health Regulations event information system.
team leader of the WHO-Cambodia Dr.
Nima Asgari said that the body is
closely monitoring the situation and is providing technical assistance
to the Ministry of Health on field epidemiology, clinical management and
active case finding.
- Haze returns to Singapore 23 hours ago
- Scots start voting in independence referendum 23 hours ago
- IS militants can`t be defeated by air strikes: Iran FM 18th September 2014
- Air strikes not enough to destroy Islamic state: US general 18th September 2014
- US to deploy 3,000 troops for boosted anti-Ebola campaign: White House 17th September 2014
- Russia to deploy reinforcements to Crimea area: Minister 17th September 2014
- Indonesians back Japan`s free visa policy 16th September 2014
- Bali Democratic Forum to be held in October 16th September 2014
- US to deploy 3,000 troops for boosted anti-Ebola campaign: White House 762 views
- Haze returns to Singapore 707 views
- IS militants can`t be defeated by air strikes: Iran FM 684 views
- Air strikes not enough to destroy Islamic state: US general 632 views
- Scots start voting in independence referendum 538 views