Undiagnosed disease kills 61 Cambodian children
According to a joint press release late Wednesday, the focus of the investigation is to find out the cause and source of the disease for appropriate treatment and control, said the press release.
It said that cases of
severe respiratory disease with neurological symptoms have been reported
to the ministry.
The ministry was first alerted to this issue by the physician of Kantha Bopha Children's hospital in Phnom Penh. The unknown disease starts with high fever followed by respiratory and/or neurologic symptoms with rapid deterioration of respiratory functions, it said.
Majority of the cases came from the southern part of the country. No apparent clustering of cases had been seen so far, it added.
"We are currently investigating the cases and possible causes of the disease are being considered but definite identification of the cause and source may take some time," said Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng as quoted by Xinhua.
Neighboring countries have already been officially informed through a posting made through the International Health Regulations event information system.
team leader of the WHO-Cambodia Dr.
Nima Asgari said that the body is
closely monitoring the situation and is providing technical assistance
to the Ministry of Health on field epidemiology, clinical management and
active case finding.
- South Korea parliament votes by wide margin to impeach President Park 9th December 2016
- Russia says over 8.000 have fled rebel-held Aleppo in last 24 hours 9th December 2016
- Book hand-written and illustrated by JK rowling up for sale 9th December 2016
- U.S. marine pilot dies after ejecting from plane off Japan 9th December 2016
- Italy`s Renzi formally hands in resignation after budget approval 8th December 2016
- Time magazine names Donald Trump as person of the year 8th December 2016
- White House: Trump`s $4 bln figure on air force one is questionable 7th December 2016
- President Jokowi to open Bali Democracy Forum 7th December 2016