Undiagnosed disease kills 61 Cambodian children
According to a joint press release late Wednesday, the focus of the investigation is to find out the cause and source of the disease for appropriate treatment and control, said the press release.
It said that cases of
severe respiratory disease with neurological symptoms have been reported
to the ministry.
The ministry was first alerted to this issue by the physician of Kantha Bopha Children's hospital in Phnom Penh. The unknown disease starts with high fever followed by respiratory and/or neurologic symptoms with rapid deterioration of respiratory functions, it said.
Majority of the cases came from the southern part of the country. No apparent clustering of cases had been seen so far, it added.
"We are currently investigating the cases and possible causes of the disease are being considered but definite identification of the cause and source may take some time," said Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng as quoted by Xinhua.
Neighboring countries have already been officially informed through a posting made through the International Health Regulations event information system.
team leader of the WHO-Cambodia Dr.
Nima Asgari said that the body is
closely monitoring the situation and is providing technical assistance
to the Ministry of Health on field epidemiology, clinical management and
active case finding.
- "Terrorists" help IS in battle against Islamic state in Iraq 3 hours ago
- Chairman Muhammadiyah asks Tapak Suci to open branch in Gaza 21st August 2014
- UN Council urges israel, palestinians to resume talks - (d) 21st August 2014
- Guatemala army chief of staff dies in helicopter crash 21st August 2014
- NATO soldier dies in Kabul stabbing: Officials 21st August 2014
- Indonesia needs to optimize benefits from AEC labor market: ILO 20th August 2014
- Half of MH17 crash victims identified: Report 17th August 2014
- Kerry presses Asia on democracy, human rights 14th August 2014
- Guatemala army chief of staff dies in helicopter crash 945 views
- UN Council urges israel, palestinians to resume talks - (d) 812 views
- NATO soldier dies in Kabul stabbing: Officials 736 views
- Chairman Muhammadiyah asks Tapak Suci to open branch in Gaza 702 views
- "Terrorists" help IS in battle against Islamic state in Iraq 293 views