Undiagnosed disease kills 61 Cambodian children
According to a joint press release late Wednesday, the focus of the investigation is to find out the cause and source of the disease for appropriate treatment and control, said the press release.
It said that cases of
severe respiratory disease with neurological symptoms have been reported
to the ministry.
The ministry was first alerted to this issue by the physician of Kantha Bopha Children's hospital in Phnom Penh. The unknown disease starts with high fever followed by respiratory and/or neurologic symptoms with rapid deterioration of respiratory functions, it said.
Majority of the cases came from the southern part of the country. No apparent clustering of cases had been seen so far, it added.
"We are currently investigating the cases and possible causes of the disease are being considered but definite identification of the cause and source may take some time," said Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng as quoted by Xinhua.
Neighboring countries have already been officially informed through a posting made through the International Health Regulations event information system.
team leader of the WHO-Cambodia Dr.
Nima Asgari said that the body is
closely monitoring the situation and is providing technical assistance
to the Ministry of Health on field epidemiology, clinical management and
active case finding.
- South Korea gives anti-submarine warship to Philippines, for $100 7 hours ago
- Undernutrition, obesity cost Latin America billions of dollars: UN 8 hours ago
- Menlu AS-ASEAN akan bertemu di Washington pada 4 Mei 21st April 2017
- French Interior Ministry spokesman says second policeman not dead in Paris 21st April 2017
- one police officer killed, two wounded in paris shooting - (d) 21st April 2017
- US seeks to strengthen defense partnership with Indonesia 21st April 2017
- Indonesia an independent country: North Korean ambassador 20th April 2017
- UN sanctions imposed on North Korea are illegal: Ambassador 20th April 2017