Undiagnosed disease kills 61 Cambodian children
According to a joint press release late Wednesday, the focus of the investigation is to find out the cause and source of the disease for appropriate treatment and control, said the press release.
It said that cases of
severe respiratory disease with neurological symptoms have been reported
to the ministry.
The ministry was first alerted to this issue by the physician of Kantha Bopha Children's hospital in Phnom Penh. The unknown disease starts with high fever followed by respiratory and/or neurologic symptoms with rapid deterioration of respiratory functions, it said.
Majority of the cases came from the southern part of the country. No apparent clustering of cases had been seen so far, it added.
"We are currently investigating the cases and possible causes of the disease are being considered but definite identification of the cause and source may take some time," said Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng as quoted by Xinhua.
Neighboring countries have already been officially informed through a posting made through the International Health Regulations event information system.
team leader of the WHO-Cambodia Dr.
Nima Asgari said that the body is
closely monitoring the situation and is providing technical assistance
to the Ministry of Health on field epidemiology, clinical management and
active case finding.
- TNI ready to evacuate Indonesians from Yemen 21 minutes ago
- Iran questions world powers' political will in nuclear talks 6 hours ago
- ICC welcomes Palestine as its 123rd state party 7 hours ago
- UN says attack on Yemen camp broke law, calls for accountability 11 hours ago
- EU distressed by Yemen civilians deaths 11 hours ago
- Storm "Niklas" kills 3 in Germany 1st April 2015
- Thai junta to replace martial law but retain key powers 31st March 2015
- Austria charges 14-year old with terror offences 31st March 2015
- Storm "Niklas" kills 3 in Germany 693 views
- Thai junta to replace martial law but retain key powers 692 views
- Austria charges 14-year old with terror offences 604 views
- UN says attack on Yemen camp broke law, calls for accountability 539 views
- EU distressed by Yemen civilians deaths 498 views
- ICC welcomes Palestine as its 123rd state party 493 views
- Iran questions world powers' political will in nuclear talks 463 views
- TNI ready to evacuate Indonesians from Yemen 80 views