Lebanese pm calls for end to Tripoli clashes
Wed, August 22 2012 02:12 | 479 Views
Beirut (ANTARA News/Xinhua-OANA) - Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati called Tuesday on the security forces to put an end to the ongoing clashes in the northern port city of Tripoli, the National News Agency reported.
In a statement issued by his media office, Mikati said "we asked the army command and security forces to intensify their work to end these futile battles."
The army has informed the Lebanese government that it has taken all necessary measures to protect Tripoli and restore calm there, the prime minister added.
He cautioned people in Tripoli that the counterproductive battles can only beget carnage, vandalism and destruction.
Fighting between the two rival neighborhoods of Alawite Jabal Mohsen and Sunni Bab El Tebbaneh in Tripoli have intensified Tuesday and left two people dead and more than 35 others wounded.
The Lebanese army said earlier in a statement an army officer and 10 soldiers were injured during the clashes.
Heavy fighting broke out on Monday night in the battle-scarred areas of Tripoli. The Lebanese army managed to restore calm in the early hours of Tuesday morning before sniper shots broke the calm and clashes resumed. (AK)
Editor: B Kunto Wibisono
COPYRIGHT © 2012