Floods kill three in Bekasi
Mon, January 21 2013 18:01 | 604 Views
Bekasi, W Java (ANTARA News) - The floods that hit Bekasi district, West Java province, on January 18-19 have killed three people, according to a spokesman of the Bekasi Police Chief, Adjunct Senior Commissioner Bambang Wahyudi.
The three victims include Omang, a 62-year-old farmer, and Samin, a 32-year-old cleaning service staff member. The identity of the third man remains unknown.
"The three victims include Omang, a 62-year-old farmer, and Samin, a 32-year-old cleaning service staff member. The identity of the third man remains unknown," he said here on Monday.
Omang`s body was found floating in Cipamingkis river, Cibarusah sub-district, Bekasi, on Saturday.
Wahyudi said Omang might be a Bogor resident who was swept away by the flood to Bekasi.
Meanwhile, a Bekasi administration official, Agus Dharma, noted that of the district`s 12 sub-districts, only two, Jatisampurna and Bantaragebang, were not flooded.
Some 4,000 residents and 2,400 people were affected by the floods in Jatiasih and South Bekasi, respectively.
Since November last year, Indonesia has been affected by floods. The floods are now slowly spreading to Jakarta, North Sumatra, West Sumatra, Jambi, South Sumatra, Gorontalo (North Sulawesi), East Java and Banten.
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, in Jakarta on Sunday, called on all residents to remain on the alert for more floods because of the high rainfall expected in the coming weeks.
The President made the statement after holding a meeting on floods and observing the flood command post in Bidara Cina, East Jakarta.(*)
COPYRIGHT © 2013