Bombay Sapphire® Gin Distillery Achieves World's First 'Outstanding' Design-Stage BREEAM Sustainability Accolade
LONDON, March 18, 201(ANTARA//PRNewswire) --
Site named as one of world's most sustainable distilleries ahead of opening in Autumn 2013, creating a sustainable site to continue to produce a perfectly balanced premium gin
The BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin distillery at Laverstoke Mill in Hampshire has become both the first distillery and first refurbishment to achieve an 'Outstanding' design-stage BREEAM (Building Research Establishment's Environmental Assessment Method) accreditation for its distillery process buildings.
To view the Multimedia News Release, please click:
BREEAM is the world's leading and most widely used environmental assessment method for buildings. It sets the standard for best practice in sustainable design and has become the measurement used to describe a building's environmental performance. To achieve this design-stage accreditation, the project is assessed using a system of environmental measures grouped by management, health and well-being, energy, transport, water, materials, waste, land use and ecology, pollution, and innovation.
The 'Outstanding' design-stage rating given to the distillery process buildings at Laverstoke Mill will be validated upon completion when the final certification will be awarded. The buildings have achieved the highest level of sustainable construction, and are expected to be one of the most environmentally friendly distilleries in the world. The completed distillery will see a 60% reduction in carbon emissions and nearly an 85% improvement over what is required by building regulations.
The Bombay Sapphire distillery process buildings have been awarded an excellent score of 86.81%, the second highest score awarded to an industrial building by BREEAM. This is as a result of a number of specific technologies incorporated into the distillery's design, including power generation from the River Test which flows through the site, the installation of a combination of on-site renewable energy generating systems, such as photovoltaics, a bio-fuelled boiler and 6kW hydro-electric water wheel.
The resulting reduction in carbon emissions is particularly striking given that buildings at the site include restored and refurbished Victorian Mill buildings, some of which are Grade II listed (designated as being particularly important and of special interest and protected by UK law), within a Conservation Area and Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
Emma Johansson, Global Marketing Manager, Bombay Sapphire said: "We are immensely proud of achieving this 'Outstanding' BREEAM accreditation. This rating, from the world's most highly respected environmental assessment method, is a testament to all the care, skill and imagination that has ensured this distillery is built with sustainability at its very core."
Martin Townsend, Director at BREEAM, BRE Global, said: "BREEAM sets the standard for best practice in sustainable building design, construction and operation and is the world's foremost environmental assessment method. We are very happy that the Bombay Sapphire team has achieved this 'Outstanding' design-stage certification - this is one of the highest scores under BREEAM and a first in the drinks industry. It is particularly impressive given this is a conversion of an existing building."
Notes to editors
About Bombay Sapphire
Bombay Sapphire gin is the world's fastest-growing major gin brandby volume and value. Based on a secret 1761 recipe, Bombay Sapphire gin is created by perfectly balancing a unique combination of 10 hand-selected exotic botanicals from around the world. The natural flavours of the botanicals are captured through a delicate distillation process called Vapour Infusion which results in the tantalising, smooth and complex taste that is Bombay Sapphire.
Enjoy Bombay Sapphire responsibly. Bombay Sapphire and Infused with Imagination are trademarks.
1. Rating granted in accordance with 2008 BREEAM criteria.
2. Regulations as specified in Building Regulations Part L 2010. Figures aredesign calculations and will need to be verified based upon the actual performance once building reaches completion. Substantial efforts have been made to calculate these figures to as accurate a basis as possible.
3. An SSSI site is legally protected to conserve British wildlife, geological and physiographical heritage, and any activity on such a site requires approval
4. Data sourced from International Wine and Spirit Research (IWSR), for the 12 months to the end of December 2011
5. Major brands are those that feature the top 5 by volume and value globally. Full results available on request.
For further information contact: Alex Wilson: email@example.com, +44(0)20-7973-5966
Source: Bombay Sapphire
- MegaChips to Acquire Certain Smart Connectivity Products Based on DisplayPort(TM) Technology from STMicroelectronics 6 hours ago
- Revolutionary Free Calling App nanu Gives Away over 10 Million Free Minutes to Reward Users 7 hours ago
- aspenONE(R) V8.7 Software Release Sets New Benchmark for Manufacturing & Supply Chain Performance 15 hours ago
- IFP School's 1st MOOC on Sustainable Mobility 16th September 2014
- RS Components Now Stocking Newly Branded 'Industrial by Duracell' Alkaline Battery Range for Professional Trade Customers 16th September 2014
- Garuda Indonesia to Introduce Jakarta - Nagoya Service in April 2015 15th September 2014
- Yamaha Motor Announce Strategies for Achieving Net Sales of 2 Trillion Yen in 2017 15th September 2014
- Wilson Associates designs Hanoi's newest "must-see" destination inside 65-story ao dai 15th September 2014